Poetry, Unassigned

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, June 24, 2021

CIRCLES

CIRCLES

by Robin Shwedo

©: Robin Shwedo, 1996



There’s something funny,

ironic almost,

the thought of another Democratic convention

in Chicago.

This

on the heels

(by two years)

of the 25th anniversary concert in Woodstock.

Funny how one generation’s defining moments

have a way of becoming another’s rallying cry.

I watch,

amused,

as my son makes plans

first to attend a concert,

and then a counter-convention,

thinking how my friends and I dealt with both.

He and his friends have definite plans

of what to accomplish:

Feed the poor and homeless,

help heal the hurt.

They ask me to “please come to Chicago.”

Maybe,

just maybe,

I will.



This was written over the summer of 1996, when the Democratic Convention was set to be held in Chicago. Many of us of a certain age could remember the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago, as well as the original Woodstock festival.

This is part of my collection titled Revolutionary Broads and Other Nightmares, currently looking for a publishing home.

No comments:

Post a Comment